Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The adventure begins



It's been my dream to have a bike with an Xtracycle on it for almost two years. Basically what it does is extends your bike's wheel base by connecting an extra piece where the back wheel goes and turns it into a cargo hauling monster. It can carry people, many many groceries and even surf boards, to name just a few things. While I surfed the web and drooled over pictures of this great invention, I learned that the company Surly was designing a new bike called the Big Dummy, which would make the whole system one long frame, making it a better, more sturdy ride.

When I got back from studying in Taiwan, I decided that I would be dreaming about this forever if I didn't finally act, so I decided on the Big Dummy and it's been glorious ever since. My goals are pretty much to do everything I do now on my bike. Biking is great for the environment and your health, and not relying on a car can save you some serious dough. I hope people will see the kid carrying just about everything on his bike and rethink why they needed their luxurious SUV. The suburbs aren't the most convenient place to use a bike as transportation, but it can definitely be done.

Winter biking is fun.

5 comments:

  1. What r u doing with your old bike?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i wonder if people are going to get confused seeing a homeless person in Naperville?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the Big Dummy is a smart idea! Good Luck with all your travels. Love, Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you crazy people that only think the homeless ride bikes MAKE ME SICK!

    ReplyDelete
  5. as of now, the old bike is my vintage bicycle collection

    ReplyDelete